'The Silent Child' Wins Best Live-Action Short Oscars 2018
Here and Now II Exhibition, 17 March 2018, fantastic day!
A new blog update of Jenny's Froude's book, Making Sense in Sign: A lifeline for a deaf child, from Channel View Publications. More information here
The memorial service and cremation for Mary Campion will be held on Thursday 7 September 2017 Beckenham Crematorium at 3pm. Colourful clothes to be worn.
Roger Vincent-Townend retires as Chairman of Bromley Chain and Rosemary Hackforth was voted in at the first committee meeting after the AGM to take up the role.
We say goodbye to Marion Brushett and thank her for 4 years of committed time as Bromley Chain Secretary, and we welcome Lorna Lingard as a co-opted member.
Money Matters New service for deaf people from HM Revenue and Customs
Click here [download pdf] for more details.
New vacancy for Bromley Chain Committee. Want the opportunity to make a difference for the deaf in the Borough of Bromley? Click here to read on ......
Bromley Chain AGM, 7.30pm 7 June 2016, Bromley Methodist Church, College Road, Bromley BR1 3NS. Free parking. Interpreters. Refreshments
Breaking News on Deaf Education
Bromley Chain has been very aware of the concerns of parents and carers of deaf children and their Teachers of the Deaf due to the market testing process and possible outsourcing of the Hearing Service. All parties have now been advised of the current situation by Lawrence Downes. For more information please see the article on page 12 in our edition of Chainmail February 2016.
DWP Open Consultation: Communications for people who are deaf or have hearing loss: market review. This call for evidence seeks to assess the communication provision for people who are deaf, deafblind or have hearing loss in the UK. This consultation closes at 4 March 2016 5:30pm. More information from the DWP here
Leading Deaf Charities to Join Forces
Deaf Access issued a Press Release on the 16 December 2015 to announce that on 1st January 2016 will bring about change in the Deaf voluntary sector, as two long-established charities formally come together as one. On that day, Deaf Access, the 21 year old charity which provides services to the deaf and hard of hearing communities of Bromley, London, will be formally transferring its staff, assets and contracts to deafPLUS, the national charity which will be celebrating its 45th anniversary in 2016. Full details of Press Release here li>
New Disability Hate Crime Survey. The MPS are undertaking a survey to identify what issues are faced by London's disability community when reporting disability hate crime. The purpose of the survey is to review the service currently available, in order to provide a service that reflects the needs of the disability community. The survey should only take 5-7 minutes to complete. Thank you for taking the time to complete this. This survey will close on 28th October 2015.
Link to survey: here [http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/SBOJQ/]
British Deaf Association launches #WHEELSUP4BSL campaign. More information from the BDA website www.bda.org.uk
GOOD NEWS! Lillian Greenwood, Labour MP for Nottingham South, has been elected to chair the All Party Parliamentary Group on Deafness. The group contains 17 MPs and 5 Lords. They will support the Action on Hearing Loss Subtitle It! campaign, support efforts to ensure hearing aids for all are provided by the NHS, support Hearing Screening for Life and work with Signature to raise awareness. Read the full news story from the Hearing Times here
deafPLUS launch new bsl debt helpline. More details here [pdf download]
Healthwatch Bromley Open Meeting, Wednesday 17 June . Opportunity to give your opinion of the health and social care service in Bromley. More details here
AGM, 9 June 2015, 7.30-9.00pm Bromley Methodist Church. Free parking. You can read the minutes of the meeting here [news article].
Do you have money worries? In June this year deafPLUS launched a brand new BSL national debt helpline via live chat using either Skype or FaceTime. They will be able to provide information and advice on debt, money issues and money worries.
The helpline will be open Monday: 10- 2pm, Tuesday: 10-2pm, Wednesday: 1-5pm, Thursday: 1-5pm, Friday: 10-11.30am. Facetime: firstname.lastname@example.org - Skype: deafplus.helpline
If you need an appointment you can book online http://www.deafplus.org.
In February UK Deaf Sport launched their first National Sport and physical activity survey. Details here
Bromley Chain members attended the recent Bromley Parent Voice Annual Conference. Each year BPV hosts a free conference for parents/ carers of disabled children and young people. The aim of the Conferences is to provide information to parent and carers of the range of services available , statutory, voluntary and national organisations, together with a series of workshops designed to inform and empower parents. Details of the day and the presentations can be seen here: http://www.bromleyparentvoice.org.uk/conferences. Photos can be seen here
Bromley Sparks disability hate crime survey. An opportunity to share your personal experiences and viewpoints by completing an online survey set up by Bromley Sparks, an organisation run by and for people with a learning difficulty or disability. They are working on a new booklet about disability hate crime for people in Bromley. The aim of the booklet is to raise awareness of hate crime and the harm it causes. It will also help people with disabilities know what to do if they are the victim of hate crime. If you would like more information about the project please contact Rebecca at Bromley Sparks on 020 8315 2508. The survey closed on 30 September 2014.
Bromley Chain are supporting Monitor (the regulator for health services in England) in conducting a national review of hearing loss services for the over 55's in England. Monitor is keen to reach local people in Bromley who have experienced hearing loss over the last two years and have approached the NHS for help. The review is aimed at local patients or patient organisations who are either using, or supporting those using, adult hearing services. The consultation closed on the 4th September 2014.
- Lars Tharp presented a talk, BSL interpreted in aid of Deaf Access 'China in Six Easy Pieces' - The country's history shown by six pieces of porcelain. Friday 13 June 2014, at Hayes Free Church. The event made £1500 thanks to Alan Roberts for his generous support. Fantastic talk enjoyed by all . Also raffle of book signed by Lars Tharp made £99 towards total .
- AGM, 10 June 2014, 7.30-9.00pm Bromley Methodist Church. Free parking. [news article]
- City Lit Deaf Day, 26 April 2014, City Lit, Keeley Street, Covent Garden, London WC2 4BA
- Deaf Access Quiz Night 25 April 2014.
- Open Space on Diversity, 24 April 2014, 10.00am-12.30pm at Community House, South Street, Bromley BR1 1RH. Susan Craney from Deaf Access shared the experiences and challenges faced by members of the Deaf Community. Susan made a great impact on her audience. People's eyes, understanding - and ears- were opened to the hidden disability of deafness and hearing loss.
- Then and Now..., an exhibition of the Deaf and Hearing Services was held at Griffins, Lovibonds Avenue, Orpington, BR6 8ER on 8th and 9th November 2013 [news article]
- 'Blitz and Bananas' is a WW11 drama written and directed by Anna Littler.
Bromley Chain has funded the subtitling of the dvd and highly recommends this delightful story.
The dvd will be available to see and purchase at the Griffins exhibition.
- Bromley Chain committee members have attended recent NHS and Council meetings.
- NHS Bromley CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) welcomes volunteers to share their experience of services on the Patient Advisory Group. For further details, go to bromleyccg.nhs.uk/getinvolved
- If you are affected by the changes in Audiology, please let Bromley Chain know your experiences, good or otherwise.
- The Council decided on 16th October that they may make changes to the Sensory Support Service. It is possible that responsibilities for the primary and secondary bases will be devolved to the schools and the Deaf and Hearing Team (0-19 years) service will be the subject of 'soft market testing' to see if outside parties are interested in tendering for this service.
Bromley Chain wants to see the Sensory Support Service remain 'in house'.
- AGM 2013 was held on the 19th June 2013 and attended by representatives from Deaf Access and Croydon Hearing Resource Centre and a number of members. [news article]
- Kathleen Hankinson has agreed to become Patron of Bromley Chain. Kathleen left the Committee last year after many years of service, due to poor health. Kathleen returns as Guest of Honour at the AGM.
- Bromley Chain sponsors Kaos Signing Choir who performed at the Olympic Opening Ceremony.
- Chainmail feature story : Meet Gina Rosado, making sure that deaf education in Bromley is "as good as it can be"
- Michelle Doggett was awarded Level 3 qualification in Dog Grooming - thanks Bromley Chain for their financial support